Friday, May 6, 2011

The first 100 miler - The Chiltern Big Dipper

Hi everyone

The riding at the weekends has been going well, weather has been great, warm and sunny. Built up nicely to the 100 mile "Chiltern Dipper" on 17th April. Lovely day, started steadily which turned out to be sensible as there were 17 climbs about half of which were significant with inclines as much as 20% in places. (1 in 5 in old money). Long distances are not my thing really so welcomed the company of a (quick) lady rider who I caught with 30 miles to go. The route was poorly signed and i had been off route twice (as had many others) which we were less than impressed with. With 15m to go we were directed down a single track road with more craters in it than the moon and gravel down the centre and i had a small "off" when the front wheel went from under me, sliding in gravel,on a corner. Grazed arm and a bit bloody, got breath back and carried on. Finished in 6hrs 38m - average of 15 mph. Got patched up by St John's Ambulance - no probs.

Then I learn't a big lesson !! Given my past as a runner and my knowledge i should have known better. Although I had a recovery drink I did not warm down and we went for a curry that evening (not the best recovery food). Did I suffer the next day !!  Tired, lethargic and aching legs. Can't afford this to happen in Pyrenees so discussed with Gary. Concluded that I am still not eating or drinking enough on the ride and I must warm down and eat a high carb with decent protein meal afterwards.

Doing another, even tougher 100 miler this weekend and will be taking 3 litres of Viper carb/protein/electrolyte drink, 6 Mule Energy Bars, A Peanut Butter sandwich and some chocolate. This is more than double what i had on the last ride so hope this will help me recover better.

The camera on the bike (or helmet) is working fine but it is a bit of a pain as the battery runs out after about an hour and the microphone has to be in a windsheild (which i have made out of some foam) and then put under my jersey. So far i have not got any decent results but think I've got the set up sorted and will try and get a decent file for Amy and Steve to edit and put up on Utube.

Signing off for now

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment