Sunday, June 5, 2011

Another 100 Miler

I entered my 2nd 100 mile "preparation " ride, the Durassic Beast in Dorset. This was the toughest ride I had ever done with many very challenging hills and a strong headwind to contend with. I was quite pleased to do it in 6hrs 53mins. Doing these long rides is about gaining experience and learning from mistakes so on this ride I ate and drank about twice as much as on the previous 100 mile ride. Felt queasy after 60 miles so switched from the Viper electrolyte drink tto water for the rest of the ride. Sick  feeling gradually subsided and I finished strong. Recovery drink, a warm down and a good meal (2 in fact) in the evening meant recovery was much better. Felt fine the following day. Hope this works in the Pyrenees !!

Had a flu type virus the last couple of weeks which was a bit of a blow but at least it happened now and not halfway up a mountain.

Of on the 17th with the ride proper starting on the 18th with a 160km (100 miles) ride from Bairritz via 3 Col's (Passes) climbing 1900 metres (6000 ft).

The hotels have wi-fi so although i won't have my laptop I hope to be able to send blogs and pictures each day - that's if I'm not completely knackered each day and just want to sleep !!

Chris

PS  Overwhelmed by the donations. Deepest thanks to those who have donated. Apart from helping Steve I hope you can take inspiration from this crazy ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment