Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 4. Bertran to Tarascon

This stage is 130 km with three climbs totalling 1700m. Seen by most as a light day with shorter, lowish gradient climbs of the Col des Ares, D'aspet and Col de Port.



Nice 10km ride to the Col des Ares. If you saw this hill coming on a normal Sunday ride you would quietly curse, turn round and go home ! but by now I saw it as a minor climb !! Ripped up it about 6th in the group and when our tour leader, Chris Balfour set off on the descent I was on his wheel and we had a superb descent and I found myself at the front of the group. Well pleased that only 4 guys passed me up the slightly harder Col d'Aspet which again I was pleased at my consistency on.

After an easy 20km we stopped for lunch and then set off up the longer Col de Port. Joined up with Andy and we rode up together and even had a sprint at the top which he won. It was drizzling rain by now and we were all wet and a bit cold. The open fire in the cafe was very welcome. Waterproofs went on for the descent.

 

A pleasant roll in to our hotel for 20 clicks - sorry, picking up the cycling slang - a click is either a kilometre or kph. Arrived about 4.30 so we all decamped to a bar. I had been abstaining from alcohol up until now but treated myself to a Panache - A shandy and a "croq monsieur" which is ham and a soft cheese sauce on toasted bread. This supplementary meal went down well.

Followed this snack with the best meal of the week, Double helping of vegetable soup followed by Salmon and Lemon Sorbet. Then a main course of Duck l'orange and a desert of apple pie.

Looking forward to the last climbing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment