Monday, June 20, 2011

Cycling the Pyrenees Day 1 19th June : Bairritz to Gurmencon.

The day of departure from Biarritz arrived and we set off at 8.30 - 100 miles with 2 Minor Cols - St Ignace and Osquich. Very hot day so consumed 8 litres of water. St Ignace was the first col and was a gentle intro to what was to come at "only" 3.5 miles long. Gradients gentle and I was far from the slowest. Osquich a bit more testing and found it quite tough. Going to be learning how to climb better !!

Just to let you know that you are nothing special these young guys were giving us some lip at the top of the Ignace !!

The 100 mile distance of the first day was very testing and felt quite tired with aching legs, so was a little apprehensive about my recovery as we had 2 major Cols to climb the following day. Also had an issue after the coffee stops when I experience cramping on the inside of my thighs for the first mile or so. After that all was OK but this separated me from the bunch and I had to work to catch up - into a headwind. There are some really quick guys here.

Lunch stop - mine is the white Specialized

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment